The "$1,000 genome" phrase neatly highlighted the chasm between the actual cost of the Human Genome Project, estimated at $2.7 billion over a decade, and the benchmark for routine, affordable personal genome sequencing.
In 2010, Illumina introduced its individual genome sequencing service for consumers, who were required to present a doctor's note. The initial price was $50,000/person. One of the first clients was former Solexa CEO John West, who had his entire family of four sequenced.
Now "$1,000 genome" is in past as there are number of companies offering WGS starting from USD 600....
- Dante Labs offers WGS starting from EUR 599: https://www.dantelabs.com/collections/our-tests
- Full Genomes
- DNA tests and reports https://sequencing.com/
- We are witnessing a revolution in genomics - and it's only just begun
- Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) Program
- What are whole exome sequencing and whole genome sequencing?
- Top 10 Sequencing Companies
- Clinical sequencing: is WGS the better WES?
- DNA Sequencing Costs: Data
- List of Personal Genome Sequencing and Interpretation Services